This tutorial covers the following topics:
Magento categories are a useful way to sort and organize your product. In this tutorial, we will show you how to create and manage categories in your Magento store.
How to create a category in Magento
In order to create a new category for your products, go to your Magento admin area > Catalog > Categories. On the left you will see the available categories (if any) and above them you will see two options - Add Root Category and Add Subcategory.
For the purpose of this tutorial we would create a new subcategory by clicking on the Add subcategory button. You should fill in its Name, and toggle the Enable Category and Include in Menu buttons to Yes to include it in the navigation menu. These are the General Information settings for the category.
From the other tabs available you can also manage:
- Content - here you may add category image, description, Add CMS Block;
- Display Settings - here you can set category Display Mode, whether it is Anchor (i.e. whether or not it should inherit the products in its subcategories) and the product listing sorting options;
- Search Engine Optimization - in this tab you may choose URL key, which, if set, will be used in the links to this category. This is useful for SEO purposes - when sites are indexed, it is considered a plus to have as many relative keywords as possible in the URL. If the category is called "PC", you may want to set this field to "personal-computers" to include two additional keywords in the link.
- Category Products - this tab allows you to add existing products to the category
- Custom Design - from this tab you can select the design for this category, as well as its layout;
- Schedule Design Update - this tab allows you to schedule the update for a certain time.
How to add a category image in Magento
Adding a Magento category image is simple. From the Magento admin area > Catalog > Categories select the category which you want to add an image to. Then click the Content tab and click on the Upload button next to the Category Image field.
Locate the image you want to set for this category on your computer. The image will appear in the Category Image field and you should click Save to apply the changes.
How to list all available categories in Magento
If you want to get a list of all available Magento categories, go to your Magento admin area > Catalog > Categories. From the Categories menu on the left click Expand All and your whole category tree will be displayed.